Friday, January 14, 2011

Is it real, or is it Photoshop?

I am getting so tired of Photoshop.  I want to see what the subject really looks like.  I don't want to wonder "Did the sunset really look like that?"  That is why I like Lisa's (at Laughing Orca Ranch) photography so much.  Most of it is straight out of the camera (SOOC) with minor adjustments (i.e. contrast).  I do not Photoshop my photos so what you see on this blog is SOOC.  Both photography and Photoshop are art forms; however, I believe they should be a distinction between the two.  What do you think?  Do you use Photoshop?  Do you think it "waters down" the art of photography?

2 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Awww, I'm honored that you like my photography. For a brief period last Spring, I got into using Picnik a lot to "edit" my photos.

I think editing software tends to make even good photographers lazy. It's easy to make any bad picture look good with editing software like Photoshop. It's fun to see what you can accomplish while playing with it, but it's really just smoke and mirrors. And I believe it's actually dishonest, especially to the viewer.

Buy I think it's even odder when you consider that many of the people, who use the editing software, own huge expensive professional cameras with many lenses.
Why aren't they using it their fancy equipment to it's full potential? Why aren't they challenging themselves to create an exceptionally perfect photo from start to finish, using their talents and experience, and not relying on the easy way out, by using editing software?

I don't own photoshop, nor have I ever used it. Nor do I own a fancy expensive, camera with thousands of dollars worth of lenses.
In my opinion, you don't need all of that stuff to make good photos.

All good photograpy requires is a creative eye, some basic knowledge about photography, including composition, angles, lighting, and a lot of patience, being at the right place at the right time, and being able to shoot quickly to get that "money shot"! lol!

Great post :)

~Lisa

John and Regina Zdravich said...

I barely know how to change the settings on the digital camera let alone photoshop a picture....
saw you on my blog -- thanks for stopping by to visit. i like your blog....i'll be back!